January 19, 2009

How Far is Too Far?

I know being frugal and watching what you buy is a vital part of saving. How far is going too far to save a few dollars?

One thing that I always thought was wrong is when you go to eat but don’t leave a tip. We will go out to eat and this girl I know, let’s call her X, doesn’t leave a tip!! NO tip! Everyone will be scrambling to see if they have a couple of dollars to pitch in but she just pays for her food. If you are too cheap to leave a tip then don’t go to a restaurant. Simple. Get a carry out, go to fast food, eat at home! I just feel this is so wrong, I mean…waiters/waitresses don’t make enough without the tip so I feel like we are ripping them off. If they didn’t serve you well or were rude to you or spit in your food then I understand but to just not leave a tip to save money?

What do you think? Is this going too far or no? What bothers you the most?

4 comments:

  1. that is not right. you HAVE to tip, even if just a little - that person is working their a$$ off to serve you, so i find it totally disrespectful not to :(

    i'm all for being frugal, but that is def. too far. drink water and/or skip one beer if you don't have the money to tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my "money-saving" pet peeves ... I agree, don't go out to eat if you're not going to leave a tip. Don't take it out on the servers!

    We go out to eat perhaps once every 2 weeks, which not only saves us money but makes the meals even more enjoyable because we view them as a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't understand that mentality at all. She must be self-centered and have an attitude of entitlement. I have been eating out almost never these days, but when I do, I err on the side of large tips (start at 15% and round it way up.) I find it easier to be generous when I buy less food and go out less often - I figure that's a lot less I'm spending in tips, so why not drop more on the lucky recipient of the extra-fat tip? I guess this is the opposite attitude that your friend has. I don't blame the servers for my money problems - I know full well that to get my financial house in order, I should rarely or never eat out but that's not the server's fault, so they aren't going to be punished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J. Money: Exactly!

    RainySaver: It's one of my pet peeves also!

    444: It's nice that you go out once in a while and view it as a treat!

    ReplyDelete